volkswagen forum
RegisterSearchFAQ Directory AlbumGarageCars For Sale By OwnerLog in

Radio Problem, 2003 Jetta

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Jetta
Radio Problem, 2003 Jetta
Keso_Koremaster

Post Radio Problem, 2003 Jetta Reply with quote
Having a problem with my 2003 Jetta...Been having a lot, but this is the latest.

My radio "quit working."

Today, I went out to the car, started it up. Turned up the volume. The volume indicator went up, but no sound came out. None of the buttons work on the stereo. No preset buttons change anything, cant' change to FM...can't manually change station up or down, stuck on the station that I was on.

EJECT CD works, then when I plug in a CD, the display plays the tracks of the CD with the right times, volume will go up and down on the display, but no sound out, can't manually change tracks...Very frustrating...If I wanted this, I'd have bought another GM.

I don't want to take it to the local dealer, I do not trust them. Had a bad engine vibration, they misdiagnosed the problem and yet were kind enough to charge for both repairs...Still have the engine vibration too.

Any hints on this radio problem?
Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:10 am View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
volkshaus

1992 Volkswagen Corrado

Post Reply with quote
sory to say your radio is bad there has been a ongoing concerns with this concern.
you can get tools to remove radio from E-bay Cheap. and get your own rebuilt radio from the dealer or go to pick and pull to grab a old radio. most dealer do not charge for radio code. if you have problems getting one give me a PM I can help you out.
Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:24 am View user's profile Send private message
turk

Post 2003 Jetta radio Reply with quote
Mine just quit working as well. Dealership states that I must replace - $700. I came across this site as I was searching for rebuilt radios to install. Am curious if it might be worth my while to contact the factory rep. I purchased my Jetta new and only have 39,000 miles.
Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:39 am View user's profile Send private message
VWInPa

Post 03 jetta radio problem Reply with quote
My radio just starting geeking out too. It turns on. No sound. Display works. I can go from the radio to the CD player but not back without ejecting the CD. No matter what I do, I can't get any sound to come out of the speakers.

Can I go to an aftermarket place (like Circuit City) and get a new stereo installed to fix this issue?
2003 Jetta.
I appreciate any input.
Please tell me the source of your suggested solution.
Thanks.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:12 am View user's profile Send private message
volkshaus

1992 Volkswagen Corrado

Post Re: 03 jetta radio problem Reply with quote
VWInPa wrote:
My radio just starting geeking out too. It turns on. No sound. Display works. I can go from the radio to the CD player but not back without ejecting the CD. No matter what I do, I can't get any sound to come out of the speakers.

Can I go to an aftermarket place (like Circuit City) and get a new stereo installed to fix this issue?
2003 Jetta.
I appreciate any input.
Please tell me the source of your suggested solution.
Thanks.

ya you can put any radio you can fit in the radio hole.

i have alot of customers that changed there radios as soon as they bought there cars. go for it get what you like.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
volkshaus

1992 Volkswagen Corrado

Post Re: 2003 Jetta radio Reply with quote
turk wrote:
Mine just quit working as well. Dealership states that I must replace - $700. I came across this site as I was searching for rebuilt radios to install. Am curious if it might be worth my while to contact the factory rep. I purchased my Jetta new and only have 39,000 miles.

Yes get a hold of ther factory rep and see what he/she can do for you.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
wesell

Post Re:Radio Problem, 2003 Jetta Reply with quote
I would like to get an aftermarket stereo for my 02 - will I lose my steering wheel controls or does the wiring harness account for that? Thanks..
Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
volkshaus

1992 Volkswagen Corrado

Post Reply with quote
Yes unless you find a Real good stereo guy /gal that can hook the wire to your new unit.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
mansurk

Post Reply with quote
hmmmm so i wasnt alone i guess .... my local dealership said that i might have to wait for 3 weeks to buy one .... i went down to the market and got a JVC audio system which plays well and has a RED display that goes with the vw trim Wink ... who needs a cassette player ...

Regards,

MAK
Saudi Arabia
Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
volkshaus

1992 Volkswagen Corrado

Post Reply with quote
Great love to hear that you got somthing that looks good.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
alkzx3

Post Re: Radio Problem, 2003 Jetta Reply with quote
Keso_Koremaster wrote:
Having a problem with my 2003 Jetta...Been having a lot, but this is the latest.

My radio "quit working."

Today, I went out to the car, started it up. Turned up the volume. The volume indicator went up, but no sound came out. None of the buttons work on the stereo. No preset buttons change anything, cant' change to FM...can't manually change station up or down, stuck on the station that I was on.

EJECT CD works, then when I plug in a CD, the display plays the tracks of the CD with the right times, volume will go up and down on the display, but no sound out, can't manually change tracks...Very frustrating...If I wanted this, I'd have bought another GM.

I don't want to take it to the local dealer, I do not trust them. Had a bad engine vibration, they misdiagnosed the problem and yet were kind enough to charge for both repairs...Still have the engine vibration too.

Any hints on this radio problem?

Yes my girl has that same car and what i did to fix her same problem. i had to remove the factory amplifier and original wiring in the car. but that was only cause i wanted to upgrade it. you see VW has a standard sound system that includes subs and stock amps. now just like everything they wear out. you just possibly need a new amp cause your amp does run to all your speakers. now if you have the Monsoon brand in yours then you and i may be on the same page. But it may differ from car to car.
Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tasharr

Post Radio problems in 2003 Jetta Reply with quote
I am having the same problem with my radio in my Jetta! I will never purchase a VW ever again. There are way to many things I've had to deal with in this car. So from what I've been reading, I guess I'll have to replace the radio system. Could someone fill me in on what would be the cheapest way to go?

Thanks!

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
    Rachelg411

Post Volkswagen Jetta 2003 Reply with quote
    I just had the exact same thing happen to by premium stock radio. Exactly the same issue. This is bull crap. Oh and I have a 2003 Jetta as well.
    Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:55 am View user's profile Send private message
    1edie

Post Reply with quote
    Bought my 2002 jetta staion wagon new , the radio has stopped working about 6 times since I have owned the car. Each time I brought it in to be fixed the service agent would fix it with out taking the radio out. Does anyone know how I can reboot the radio with out having to take it to the service dept? I know the default codes are either 0000 or 1234 but how do I go about doing it, there are no directions in my service manual.
    Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message
    Google

Post Sponsored ads
    spottedbuckey

Post 2002 Jetta Radio Problem Reply with quote
    I have a 2002 Jetta that I have had problems with my radio quitting for no apparent reason. It would just go blank, no power, no nothing. Then over a period of time the battery would start to get weak until it finally went dead. The first time this happened I had it hauled to VW dealer 65 miles away to be fixed. Said I needed a new battery ($110.00) and radio programmed. About a year later, maybe less not sure, it did the same thing. Battery finally went dead so I had to have it hauled 65 miles again. This time they said all that was needed is battery charged and radio reprogrammed. This still cost me about $130.00. Well, about 2 months ago it did the same thing again. Thought, here we go again, but this time my son-in-law, God bless him, went online and found out how to reset (reboot) radio. I got my codes out to reprogram radio then unplugged the radio fuse (#42 fuse), waited 30 seconds, only have to wait 15 but I wanted to be sure it worked. Radio started working again without doing any reprogramming at all. Everything on radio worked just fine. I decided to see if battery would still run down or if radio would quit again. It is still going as of now and it's been a couple months or close to it. Can you imagine how PO'd I was when I realized that the 2 times I had it hauled to dealers to get fixed and found out that all they had done to fix radio took a total of 30 seconds and didn't even tell me. And they charge $96.00 hr for labor. They are all a bunch of crooks that should be locked up for dishonesty. Anyway, I hope this will help someone else and maybe save them some money too. God Bless!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:24 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Jetta All times are GMT
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

VolkswagenForum © 2001, 2005

Volkswagen Forum recognizes that "Volkswagen", it's logos and various model names are registered trademarks of Volkswagen of America, Inc.. These terms are used for identification purposes only. VolkswagenTalk.com is not affiliated with Volkswagen of America, Inc., or any other company listed here. Copyright 2005 Volkswagen Talk - All rights reserved.

Jump to: