volkswagen forum
RegisterSearchFAQ Directory AlbumGarageUsed CarsLog in

P0322 on a 00 Jetta, help

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Tech Tips
P0322 on a 00 Jetta, help
MyRB25

Post P0322 on a 00 Jetta, help Reply with quote
Hey, I work at a shop and this one has me and my boss stumped. So I gotta turn to you guys. It's a 00' Jetta w/a 2.0 manual. The complaint was stalling and not starting right after it stalled., if you wait five to ten minuets it will. It stalled when it wanted to w/o warning. The women dropped it off on a Sunday (the one day we're closed) so we got it Monday morning, the complaint was stalling and a check engine on. Since we already had a few ICMs go bad on other VW's we already had our suspisions. But the code was one I've never seen before, P0322 ' Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal'. And naturally our scanner doesnt have Euro's so all we knew was the code. It ran fine for us all day, had it running, test drive, everything. We gave it back to the women in hopes it was a fluke (or until the problem presented itself again).
It came in yesterday, this time it died on the women somewhere, she had it towed in, but we didnt really do anything with it since it came in after hours, but we found out it had no spark.

It started fine this morning, but since we've been kinda busy we didnt really play with it till the end of the day, but my boss did jump the gun and order the ICM/Coil Pack (it comes as one) and put it in, it wasnt the ICM lol. It ran for awhile, but then stalled and didnt start, with no spark, but we do have fuel. If you wait about five to ten minuets it starts up again and runs until it stalls again. It wont stall right away but when it does its not a nasty, dieing stall like the engine is trying to catch itself, it just stops. I looked a the crank sensor through the Vantage (a graphing meter) and I watched the engine stall in front of me, the voltage just drops at a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if a crank sensor is suspose to get voltage during cranking, but the meter shows NO voltage during cranking after is stalls. The CKP was within voltage spec at idle, but when i revved it up to about 2 to 3 grand the voltage went OL (The graph was only set to 14v though) and unfortunatly IDK what the voltage specs are at anything but idle, just seemed odd. The signature looked fine while it was running and under cranking (when it starts).

We're running out of ideas lol we still have a few more sensors to test, but it's looking grim. It ANYONE has ANY idea to what this P0322 is from or any diagnostic tips on this code, please respond. I'm trying to look for an answer by 8:00am tomorrow lol Thanks for any help guys.
Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:02 am View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
trubsy

2003 BMW 5 Series

Post Reply with quote
Check the Crank Position Sensor.
Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:25 am View user's profile Send private message
MyRB25

Post Reply with quote
Thanks, yea I was looking around and found other people having the same problems as me with the P0322, they changed the CKP (Crank Sensor) and it ran fine, another symptom is it usually happens when the car is at operating temp (The needle is in the middle of the temp gauge). I'll change it today, let everyone know.
Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:49 am View user's profile Send private message
MyRB25

Post Reply with quote
BTW it was the Crank (Engine Speed Sensor) Sensor Smile I heard its common in the 2.0 and 1.8s, most people change the icm/coil first
Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
xuegewang

Post u got it Reply with quote
I got same prob on my a4 yesterday, and did many research online, it is the crank position sensor, crank sensor is heat sensitive, when
engine are warm, it malfunctions and causes engine stall, after cool for 10
min, can start again.

usually when u drive around, say hwy and get engine warmed, right after u off hwy and meet the first traffic light, or a sudden brake on hwy, sensor will go crazy cuz less wind chill and heat buildup. and engine might stall, wait for feel min let it cool down, car can crank again.

let me know ur update, i am also thinking get it fixed asap.

MyRB25 wrote:
BTW it was the Crank (Engine Speed Sensor) Sensor Smile I heard its common in the 2.0 and 1.8s, most people change the icm/coil first

Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:30 am View user's profile Send private message
MyRB25

Post Reply with quote
Um well you kinda quoted my update lol but anyway the problems your having sound like it could be the CKP. Sounds just like the VW I had at my shop. Any check engine lights on? BTW if you wait a few min and let it cool down it'll start, but it will get worse, so I would fix it asap. Good thing vwtalk.com sends you an e-mail or else I woulda never knew you posted this lol
Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:06 am View user's profile Send private message
hfortenberry

Post Crank sensor (engine speed sensor)? Reply with quote
I started having this same exact problem about two weeks ago. As I read your original posting, I began to wonder if I had an alter ego that had posted my message for me earlier than I could. I also have a 2000 vw jetta, 2.0 GLS. I am currently overseas, so walking into a parts store is almost out of the question. So, upon trying to track down this part from different online part stores, I ran into a problem. None of the stores i visited listed a crank sensor, or an engine position sensor for the jetta. The only place I found it was on rockauto.com and it was listed as a crankshaft position sensor. On other parts stores I found a reference sensor. Would anyone happen to have a part number for it so I could be sure I was ordering the correct item.
Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
Essam

Post Jetta 2000 STALL Reply with quote
MyRB25 wrote:

I guess it is my turn now to report same problem like the one you had in your shop. STALL Jetta 2000 GLS after running for at least 1/2hr!! Mad Sad

I got three codes P0322 (Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal) , P0303 (cyl3 misfire) amd P0131 (O2 sensor)

Confused , Is it camshaft sensor or crankshaft? I am confused. I went to VW dealer (w/o the car) and he said it is eaither fuel pump or camshaft sensor.
thank you for your help.
Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Essam

Post Re: P0322 on a 00 Jetta, help Reply with quote
MyRB25 wrote:
Hey, I work at a shop and this one has me and my boss stumped. So I gotta turn to you guys. It's a 00' Jetta w/a 2.0 manual. The complaint was stalling and not starting right after it stalled., if you wait five to ten minuets it will. It stalled when it wanted to w/o warning. The women dropped it off on a Sunday (the one day we're closed) so we got it Monday morning, the complaint was stalling and a check engine on. Since we already had a few ICMs go bad on other VW's we already had our suspisions. But the code was one I've never seen before, P0322 ' Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal'. And naturally our scanner doesnt have Euro's so all we knew was the code. It ran fine for us all day, had it running, test drive, everything. We gave it back to the women in hopes it was a fluke (or until the problem presented itself again).
It came in yesterday, this time it died on the women somewhere, she had it towed in, but we didnt really do anything with it since it came in after hours, but we found out it had no spark.

It started fine this morning, but since we've been kinda busy we didnt really play with it till the end of the day, but my boss did jump the gun and order the ICM/Coil Pack (it comes as one) and put it in, it wasnt the ICM lol. It ran for awhile, but then stalled and didnt start, with no spark, but we do have fuel. If you wait about five to ten minuets it starts up again and runs until it stalls again. It wont stall right away but when it does its not a nasty, dieing stall like the engine is trying to catch itself, it just stops. I looked a the crank sensor through the Vantage (a graphing meter) and I watched the engine stall in front of me, the voltage just drops at a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if a crank sensor is suspose to get voltage during cranking, but the meter shows NO voltage during cranking after is stalls. The CKP was within voltage spec at idle, but when i revved it up to about 2 to 3 grand the voltage went OL (The graph was only set to 14v though) and unfortunatly IDK what the voltage specs are at anything but idle, just seemed odd. The signature looked fine while it was running and under cranking (when it starts).

We're running out of ideas lol we still have a few more sensors to test, but it's looking grim. It ANYONE has ANY idea to what this P0322 is from or any diagnostic tips on this code, please respond. I'm trying to look for an answer by 8:00am tomorrow lol Thanks for any help guys.

I guess it is my turn now to report same problem like the one you had in your shop. STALL Jetta 2000 GLS after running for at least 1/2hr!!

I got three codes P0322 (Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal) , P0303 (cyl3 misfire) amd P0131 (O2 sensor)

, Is it camshaft sensor or crankshaft? I am confused. I went to VW dealer (w/o the car) and he said it is eaither fuel pump or camshaft sensor.
thank you for your help
Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:14 am View user's profile Send private message
bones337

Post Reply with quote
The sensor you need is the crank sensor. Seen this multiple times.
Located on the front of the engine to the right of the oil fiter when standing looking down at the car. Looks like a knock sensor. The problem is is heats up and oil contaminates the sensor and it loses its reading off of the teeth on the flywheel. Replace the sensor but also make sure you fix any oil leaks in that area so it doesn't happen again.
Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 am View user's profile Send private message
dar_keys

Post Reply with quote
I seem to have the same problem. I have a 2000 Beetle 2.0 engine. This is the third time it stalls.
My oil is leeking. I brought it in to the dealer yesterday. I just got a call back. They said a bunch of errors came up.. something like 1) misfire, 2) 02 sensor, 3)no signal, 4)engine speed sensor. Which sounds just like how it was described below, plus the oil leaking!

The dealership said they wouldn't do anything because to many codes came up and that I should drive it again until it happens again.

Any advice?? should i ask them to go ahead and change the crank sensor and fix the oil leaking?

How much would this work cost?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
saltydog

Post Reply with quote
I have the same problem. 2002 Jetta GLS. I have changed the cam position sensor. Still stalling at idle. The CPS is behind the timing gear on the camshaft. It took me about 1 hour to change.
Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
dar_keys

Post Reply with quote
I brought my car to a different garage. They work on imports. He came up with the same codes, but investigated further and recommended that the crankshaft sensor be replaced for starters. I didn't even have to say anything about that, so I was glad to hear his findings. He went ahead and did the work and it's been working really well.. no stalling Smile
Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
saltydog

Post Reply with quote
I just got off the phone with the parts store. They are getting a crank sensor. The parts man lied and told me crank and cam are the same. Now that I have the right part coming hopefully that will work. When I cot the cam sensor I told them it was the wrong one and they outright lied to me and said it was the right one. Lazy people.

Thanks for helping me put the pieces together.
Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:30 am View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
rchap4

Post 2001 VW Jetta 2.0 Stalling but restarts after a few mins Reply with quote
I am a new/used Jetta owner, and this is my fist major problem. Its an 2001 2.0 manual Jetta doing exactly this; stalls at light but will restart after a few mins. I was thinking that it was a charging system problem but it starts right back up, and the the stall is more like something just cut the power. Will try the crank sensor first how ever, very glad to have found this forum.
r
Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:06 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Tech Tips All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

VolkswagenForum © 2001, 2005

Volkswagen Forum recognizes that "Volkswagen", it's logos and various model names are registered trademarks of Volkswagen of America, Inc.. These terms are used for identification purposes only. VolkswagenTalk.com is not affiliated with Volkswagen of America, Inc., or any other company listed here. Copyright 2005 Volkswagen Talk - All rights reserved.

Jump to: