volkswagen forum
RegisterSearchFAQ Directory AlbumGarageCars for SaleLog in

A/C and cooling fans not coming on.

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Beetle
A/C and cooling fans not coming on.
Spohner

Post A/C and cooling fans not coming on. Reply with quote
The problem that I am having is on my wife's 2001 vw beetle with the 2.slow. The other day we left the house and the a/c was on but blowing warm for about 5 minutes then just started blowing cold. I thought it was low on freon and took it to a shop to have it recharged. They said they did not see any leaks and that it was not low on freon. I had them do an a/c service and I left. The a/c blew cold on the way home and I thought maybe it was ok. Then this morning my wife took it to school and she said it was still blowing hot. So I had her take it back to the shop and they stated that the a/c and cooling fans are not kicking on. They did not know what was causing it because it is just a tire shop. Any recommendations of what I should do. I do have some mechanical background so I can do most basic to intermediate repairs.
Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
mrblueshoes

Post Reply with quote
Ok, I just experienced this same problem.
On top of your battery there should be 3 fuses. One or two of them control your AC and the cooling fan. Replace them all , even if they don't appear to be blown. My wife's were loose and it caused intermittant operations of the AC and the cooling fan. It cost me $5 to correct this problem. I replaced all 3 because I didn't want anymore problems down the road. Hope this helps.

MBS
Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Spohner

Post fixed Reply with quote
hey thanks, worked perfectly. It was funny because the fuse was not blown but one end looked like it was burned. Oh well, it works. Thanks!
Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:14 am View user's profile Send private message
WiFiTech

2000 Volkswagen Beetle

Post 2000 No Fans or AC All fuses good. Reply with quote
I am heading up to the auto parts store, to find the green 30 AMP fuses for under the hood. I am assuming due to heat that they cannot be the normal 30 AMP fuses. I will post the results. The symptoms are the following: When the A/C is running it is COLD, but it seems to kick off, then you have to shut the A/C off and then turn it back on. Now it doesn't blow cold at all. I checked and neither radiator fan comes on when the AC button is pushed in. The reason I am posting now is because we had this happen once before and it was a sensor. I was wondering if anyone knew what, where and how to replace this sensor?
Thanks for your help.
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
southfl212002

Post Thank you so MUCH!!! Reply with quote
I have a 2001 VW Golf TDI and my A/C was blowing but, not cold. After checking all my fuses inside the car and found they were all fine I checked under the hood. I found the 3 fuse located on top of car battery. I checked these 3 fuse and found that the one on the left side was burnt and chard looking. I then went to the auto parts store and purchased a pack of 30 AMP fuses "after reading this forum" and replaced the chard looking fuse. After replacing the fuse I cranked the car and turn on the A/C and it was blowing ICE COLD!!!!! I'm so happy. And to think I was on the verge to taking the car to a repair shop to have the A/C fixed where they would've charged me at least $100. But instead I was able to fix it and it only cost me $3.74 for a pack of fuses. After saying all that, does anyone have an idea why this fuse becomes chard and burnt looking? Once again thank you so much for helping me slove this problem...Oh and this is not the first time my A/C quit blowing cold...The first time was becasue I never changed the cabin air filter, it got so drity and clogged the A/C quit wotking properly. I changed the filter and it blew ice cold agian, until I had the fuse problem.
Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
MyHorseDiamond

Post Reply with quote
mrblueshoes wrote:
Ok, I just experienced this same problem.
On top of your battery there should be 3 fuses. One or two of them control your AC and the cooling fan. Replace them all , even if they don't appear to be blown. My wife's were loose and it caused intermittant operations of the AC and the cooling fan. It cost me $5 to correct this problem. I replaced all 3 because I didn't want anymore problems down the road. Hope this helps.

MBS
Hi, reading this made me check those 3 fuses above my battery. Thank you, changed all 3 fuses and finally my A/C works!! Cost me with tax, 1.72
Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:42 am View user's profile Send private message
njs453

Post Reply with quote
Thanks so much. You saved me so much money. I changed out all three fuses and now I have cold A/C.
Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
James85

Post Reply with quote
Once again thank you so much for helping me slove this problem...Oh and this is not the first time my A/C quit blowing cold.
Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:02 am View user's profile Send private message
James85

Post Reply with quote
I changed out all three fuses and now I have cold A/C.

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:36 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Beetle All times are GMT

VolkswagenForum © 2001, 2005

Volkswagen Forum recognizes that "Volkswagen", it's logos and various model names are registered trademarks of Volkswagen of America, Inc.. These terms are used for identification purposes only. VolkswagenTalk.com is not affiliated with Volkswagen of America, Inc., or any other company listed here. Copyright 2005 Volkswagen Talk - All rights reserved.

Jump to: