volkswagen forum
RegisterSearchFAQ Directory AlbumGarageCars for SaleLog in

2004 Jetta TDI Problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Jetta
2004 Jetta TDI Problem
mitchellemybelle

Post 2004 Jetta TDI Problem Reply with quote
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI. I have been having some problems with it and apparently VW can't figure out what is going on. So I am hoping to maybe find someone else that is having or has heard of the same problems.

The first problem I had was periodically blowing white smoke on start-up. VW has told me this is because of a small coolant leak. Supposedly being fixed.

The second problem is after I took it in for some minor work three weeks ago (first time to my knowledge in a VW service center - had an alignment, recalls, and an IPod adapter installed) the car began acting funny when I was driving it. It is a standard five speed. The night I picked it up it began jerking back and forth while driving in third and fourth gear. The best way to describe it is to say that it acted like someone was rappidly hitting and releasing the excelerator. Sometimes it was barely noticable, other times I thought the car was going to fall apart in the middle of the road. It happens sporadically as VW can not get it to replicate. Although I have my disbeliefs that they aren't doing more than driving it down one street and back into the garage.

The third problem and most serious one is that two days in a row, the car has died in mid gear driving down the road. Wouldn't be so bad if that was all it was doing but the steering column locks and the car will not totally turn over and start for at least 10-15 minutes after it has died. Both times it did this to me I was on my way to work and never made it more than two blocks from my house when it would stall in first in the middle of an intersection. They tried to tell me it was my fault and that I was stalling the car out. However, I have been driving a stick for six years and I know how to handle a clutch...I am not stalling the car out...and that doesn't explain why you can't restart it and the steering column locking. They now, after repeatedly telling them that I would not pick the car up until it was fixed since I consider that to be a HUGE SAFETY ISSUE, they now say that the "tandem pump" is broken and are going to fix that.

A minor problem I have had is the front heated seats. They seem to not work in any setting except for level 5. Again as usual, VW can't replicate the problem and says that it is perfectly fine...nothing to fix!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these problems or has any advice for me. This is my second Jetta (1999.5 2.0L before) and I have did not experience this many problems before. I've had the car a year and a half and I am quickly becoming soured on the service and standards VW is offering.
Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:50 am View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
1999.5jettatdi170k

Post Reply with quote
Hello, On your #3 problem,I was wondering if you ever got that fixed? I have the same problem, my TDI just stalls at any time, sometimes at idle, while cruising at 45, just any time. I have always had it start normally within 5 min. after 2/3 times cranking. I have noticed right after fueling vehicle, It always takes a few times cranking before it will start. Thanks for any info you might have. Hope you got it fixed
Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:59 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mitchellemybelle

Post Reply with quote
They replaced the tandum pump which is part of the fuel pump system. They said it was faulty and was stopping the flow of fuel sporadically to the engine which is what was causing it to die and then have a hard time starting again. We went ahead and replaced the fuel filter too. The tandum pump was all covered under warranty. Since they replaced it, I have not had it die on me again. So far two tanks into the new pump. Still have some of the jerking sensation every now and then and there is a loud knocking noise when accelerating sometimes (which I think has to do with something that they replaced and maybe knocked something loose) but I can live with that as apposed to it ramdomly dying on me.
Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:11 am View user's profile Send private message
1999.5jettatdi170k

Post Reply with quote
Hello, Thank you you for your reply, I will have that replaced and see if that will fix the problem, and reply after a few tanks. The other problem of it jerking and loud knocking noise. Is your dealer going to do something about fixing that? With an 04 you should not be having problems like that. Not to mention your other problems. The way the dealers are, I just hope it totally goes out before your warranty is not in effect. GOOD LUCK and THANKS! again
Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
1999.5jettatdi170k

Post Reply with quote
Hi Again, After going to the dealer, they have told me there is no such called part(tandem pump) so I was wondering if you had any other information of exactly what they replaced to fixed the problem.
Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:09 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mitchellemybelle

Post Reply with quote
The tandum pump is part of the fuel pump system. Since mine is an 04, I know that there were things that were changed in the TDI engines from 1999.5-2005. If you do a search on tandum pump (and I might be spelling that wrong) crossed with volkswagen/jetta you will find that the European VW all had them recalled. Their might not indeed be any part called a tandum pump on your year model. I did enough research though on my end to know that it was indeed a real part and should have technically been replaced in America since it was replaced in Europe and the vast majority of the engine on the TDI's are produced in Germany.

HEre is a lik for one of the recall sites. It is the bolts on the cover of the tandem pump that were recalled in Europe. Keep in mind, in Europe, the Jetta is known as the Bora. Same exact car up until 2005 just a different name.
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:30 am View user's profile Send private message
mitchellemybelle

Post Reply with quote
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=B8&modelName=Bora&makeName=Volkswagen&makeId=E8
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:32 am View user's profile Send private message
Google

Post Sponsored ads
vwgirl

Post Reply with quote
Tandem pump is a part of VW fuel pump system for supplying fluid such as fuel under pressure to a power-assisted steering device and a secondary pump for supplying fluid under pressure to a hydraulic motor of an engine cooling fan, which pumps are mounted on a common drive shaft for rotation therewith... It is also capable of eliminating power loss of the prime engine caused by operation of the hydraulic motor of the engine cooling fan at a low temperature....Hope this information you to be better understand what is tandem pump what is its function in your car...
Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:00 am View user's profile Send private message
bradwath

Post Jerking Reply with quote
Yeah, I am having a jerking problem, as well. Although, my 2004 Jetta jerks in all gears but mostly in 3rd and 4th gear as you had stated. I have kept a log of the issue and have identified that the problem will only occur during warmer weather and only if the throttle is at a cruise position (neither accelerating or decelerating). Howard Cooper VW here in Ann Arbor, has not been able to reproduce the problem while the car is in their possession and therefore hasn't made an attempt to correct the issue. My problem is also similar in that it started after a visit to the shop for some warranty work. Has anyone figured this one out, yet?
Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:03 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bradwath

Post Idle Reply with quote
Does anyone know the normal idle speed for a 2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed?

Last edited by bradwath on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mitchellemybelle

Post Reply with quote
I haven't experienced the jerking since they replaced the tandum pump portion of the fuel pump...but I do have a loud vibration noise from my engine in 1'st, 2'nd, 3'rd, and 4'th gear when accelarating hard. Vibration noise wasn't there before the last trip. For now, I can live with it...but it does worry me sometimes. I think mine idles around 1.5 or so...it takes a lot for me to get it up past 4 while driving. I won't be going back to the Autobahn Volkswagen place here in Texas again. I complained about the service this last time and how they told me I didn't know how to drive a stick and that was the problem...but never heard from them again after I complained. Next time I need some work done and have the vibration noise checked out I will likely take it to Hiley VW in Arlington. It's quite a drive, but I want to try a different dealership...and hopefully not come back with more problems this time!
Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 am View user's profile Send private message
bradwath

Post Service Contact Reply with quote
Can you tell me the name and phone number of the VW service shop you had diagnose and repair your jerking issue. My shop can't replicate the issue and would like to call them.
Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:01 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mitchellemybelle

Post Reply with quote
It was the Autobahn Volkswagen in Fort Worth, TX. www.autobahnmotorcars.com
They were only able to truly diagnose the dying issue as a direct cause of the faulty tandem pump. However, the jerking/surging did stop once that was replaced. I wouldn't recommend at all the service rider I had, but you can ask to speak to Mike who is either the asst. manager or manager of the service department there...Zoran is the manager over the whole Volkswagen portion of the dealership. I'm sure that they have all of that stuff in my file on my car. If you need more information, just let me know. If they need more info to remember my case...I was in, in January and February of this year...White 2004 Jetta TDI...and finally had the tandem pump replaced in February. Zack was my service rider in January, but I can't remember the name of the woman (very rude, will not use again) who was my service rider with the issue in February.

Hope this helps you out some!

What kind of surging/jerking is your car doing exactly? I had a 2.0 Gas Jetta 1999.5 several years ago. It was also a stick. I had an issue with it sticking in gear after I would put it into neutral. Nothing like putting your stick shift into neutral and watching your car continue to drive on down the road! That issue was something in the computer system that was sticking or something like that. Had to replace one of the chips in it I think...while that doesn't make any sense to me since it was a stick shift...it did fix that problem.
Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:55 am View user's profile Send private message
bradwath

Post Reply with quote
So, it may be to much to ask. But could you provide any other information about your vehical such as a VIN number or a full name of the vehicles owner. If I were you I wouldn't do such a thing over the web. But I thought by chance you may be able to shoot an email over to my service manager @ pstec@howardcooper.com . You can view their website

http://howardcooper.com/service/porsche_audi_vw/index.shtml

and get the email directly from there if you would like. If you do have the time for this task could you CC me on it at bradwath@gmail.com

Thanks again.

Here is a copy of the response they gave me in regards to your last post.
Hello Brad,
We contacted the dealer but they were unable to recall the vehicle in your e/mail.
If we have the vehicle number or customers full name, they may be able to help us with information as to complaint and repair.
Regards,
Paul Stec
Service Manager
Howard Cooper Inc.
734-761-3200 x 209
734-761-8587 fax
Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:20 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Google

Post Sponsored ads
lanejs

Post Same issues on '04 Jetta TDi Reply with quote
I have the same issues- but the stall out is worse in that it will not start up at all - even after multiple attempts. It has been serviced twice: the first time they replaced the EGR valve and it worked again for a few weeks. Then it happened again and they replaced the fuel temperature sensor. It just happened again on Wednesday and they have no idea what is going on. But yes- there are others of us out here with the same problem on the same model.

I am also having issues with the heated seats: there was a factory recall on the passenger side- so if you haven't seen that, take it in and have them look up the recalls on our model VW. I only have temperature 5 on the driver's side now as well.

I just talked to customer service and there is also an "NR campaign letter" for the brake lights. Have them check that out too.

Good luck. I know the stall out issue has been a royal pain for me. I'm now wondering, since I'm past the 60,000 mile manufacturer's warranty (thank god I have an extended service warranty that has taken care of the last two service issues), if I'm going to be paying off a car that won't run.

It's so hard because overall I've been happy with the car.
Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:19 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Volkswagen Forum Index » Volkswagen Jetta All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

VolkswagenForum © 2001, 2005

Volkswagen Forum recognizes that "Volkswagen", it's logos and various model names are registered trademarks of Volkswagen of America, Inc.. These terms are used for identification purposes only. VolkswagenTalk.com is not affiliated with Volkswagen of America, Inc., or any other company listed here. Copyright 2005 Volkswagen Talk - All rights reserved.

Jump to: